Director of Infrastructure, Performance and Security
Founded in Quebec City in 2010, Petal is a dynamic and growing company made up of a team of over 200 enthusiasts who have developed innovative productivity tools for healthcare professionals. Secure messaging, online booking, schedule management, medical billing and hospital console: all on iOS, Android and our online application!
We will soon reach 50,000 users and have no intention of slowing down in our mission to simplify the daily lives of physicians, improve the efficiency of the health system and ultimately improve access to care.
What to expect when joining the team
To meet the demands of Petal’s continuous growth, you will be responsible for scaling the infrastructure to consider everyday workflows and business objectives, to fulfil customer demand and add capabilities and services to our Cloud offering and developers in our R&D organization. In this critical role, you will interface with various teams to understand, prioritize and incorporate best practices in the organization to increase developer productivity, service quality and security.
Your daily life
During the day, you will be led to :
- Define and drive the long-term roadmap for the infrastructure and performance team, incorporating tool and process improvements as needed for supporting automation and working closely with internal teams as needed to prioritize and deliver on initiatives to ensure the efficiency, performance and security of infrastructures;
- Set the long-term technical direction and strategy of the infrastructure and performance organization and heavily contribute to the broader engineering organization;
- Understand developer workflows and service lifecycles holistically, with innovative approaches to continually enhance everyday work, increase developer productivity and further automate service qualification;
- Work to further develop architectural patterns of large geo-distributed SaaS infrastructure and applications;
- Support developer infrastructure as internal applications, meeting uptime, disaster recovery and scalability requirements;
- Manage security audits, vulnerability and threat assessments, planning and implementing the necessary actions to adequately manage, communicate and resolve incidents and risks;
- Ensure the development of the personal and technical skills of the employees under your responsibility, as well as the sustainability of knowledge within your team;
- Participate in the recruitment, integration and development of new members of your team and in the management of change and organizational impacts that may affect the employees under your responsibility;
- Co-own operation expense planning and execution with the Director of Technology;
- Lead and coordinate the team’s activities and projects with responsibility for results in terms of timelines, cost objectives, and process implementation;
- Coordinate the documentation of the technical environments, processes and procedures, testing plans, project plans including the architecture for the cloud computing and the security architecture, to meet the current and future needs of the business;
- Leverage solid organization skills and agile methodologies to foster an environment of iterative delivery and measurable results;
- Define and monitor the performance indicators and KPIs associated with the infrastructure and performance team;
- Resolve technological and/or security incidents and adequately prevent further incidents
- Help define and manage the company’s disaster recovery plan
- Effectively communicate and collaborate within and across teams and organizations to achieve best outcomes for the business.
What we offer
We offer very competitive terms, but we don't believe that this is enough to make you happy in the long run. Here's what makes employees happy at Petal:
- Being surrounded by a talented and competent team;
- Working in an environment that values fun, respect and teamwork;
- Working on a quality product in the dynamic atmosphere of a start-up;
- Participating in the innovation of a growing Canadian company tackling healthcare system transformation - Nothing less!
Are you an experience Software Engineering professional, recognized for your relentless championing of reliability, performance and scalability? Do you stand out for your great interpersonal skills and positive, solution-oriented approach? The sky is the limit! If you have :
- 8+ years of industry experience within an infrastructure team operating high scale cloud infrastructure;
- A Bachelors degree in Computer Science or a related field;
- A strong experience with managing a cloud based platform, knowledge of Microsoft Azure a bonus
- A strong programming background, Ruby on Rails ecosystem a bonus;
- Experience with continuous integration and continuous deployment
- A proven track record of operating reliable, scalable, secure, cost-effective infrastructure;
- The ability to synthesize all inputs and develop a sharp infrastructure roadmap;
- Prior experience in developing Infrastructure as Code;
- Experience with hiring skilled, diverse talent;
- Strong analytical and debugging skills;
- An understanding of Docker and Kubernetes security best practices;
- Experience with modern security technologies including vulnerability scanning, security logging and event management;
- An understanding of and experience in implementing security compliance framework.
Petal’s position on remote working
In our opinion, a company cannot claim to be modern, innovative and have the well-being of their team at heart, without attempting to integrate remote working to the level that their business model allows them to. Post-pandemic, Petal employees will continue to benefit from the option of teleworking up to the maximum flexibility permitted by the nature of the position and the smooth running of operations.
- A signing bonus of 1 000$ for your remote work set-up;
- Compensation that recognizes your contribution;
- A generous vacation policy;
- 5 paid personal days per year;
- A group RRSP / DPSP plan with employer contributions;
- A complete group insurance plan, including dental;
- An annual wellness allowance;
- Access to the Dialogue™ telehealth application;
- Access to the Officevibe™ employee engagement application;
- Flexible work hours and more.